Now that you have your date. have likely picked out your venue, and have chosen a photographer that cannot wait to share in the joy of your day, you can sigh a breath of relief those are some of the big looming decisions that you can cross off your list! Now we get to think about the fun stuff like engagement session planning ! All our Seedling Wedding Packages include the engagement session because we believe they are VITAL to our success in getting to tell your story in an authentic and true way during your wedding. Our time together will also help you both to loose the jitters about being in front of my lens so that on your wedding day you can be relaxed and enjoying the moments.
We can schedule your session any time after booking but my recommendation for engagement session planning is usually to schedule at least 3-6 months ahead of the wedding so you have time for printing if you’d like to use any of the photographs for save the dates or at the ceremony. Because we shooting weddings on the weekends I shoot engagement sessions on weeknight evenings. I love to shoot this session during that golden hour light just before the sun sets so depending on the time of year that would be anywhere between 4-7pm.
As far as location because it is truly my heart to tell genuine love stories I would LOVE to shoot your engagement session at a location that is meaningful to you. Did your first date include a macaron at Pistacia Vera? (if yes you are my kinda people!) Then lets go shoot an intimate session there! Did you meet on OSU’s campus? Great! Lets go shoot a picnic on the Oval. I am happy to recommend locations if you cannot think of a great spot but I usually find the most meaningful engagement sessions are shot at a location that has meaning to my couples. Get creative as you brainstorm!
Engagement Session Planning
- Don’t try to MATCH…try to pick outfits and accessories that coordinate instead. If everyone wore the same exact color at their e-shoot, how boring would those images be?
- Don’t be afraid to be BOLD! Accessorize and make your outfits your own! Scarves, bold necklaces and fun shoes are always welcomed!
- MOST PATTERNS are actually ok…. however, graphics are not favorable for portraits. If you’re wearing a pattern, make sure it’s not overwhelming and distracting.
- Empty your pockets! Literally. You don’t want to have key chains or phones showing through your pockets. (This is for the guys especially!) Most often, couples like to have one casual, everyday outfit and then one outfit that is dressier! This will give your shoot two totally different “looks”. I recommend beginning with the dressy outfit first!
- Make sure you’re comfortable in what you’re wearing. If you feel your best in your outfit it will show in the photographs And ladies, if you are wearing a dress or skirt for your dressy outfit will you bring pants or shorts for your more casual outfit? This allows us to get a variety of different poses!
- BE ON TIME! The sun is only out for so long ! The later you arrive, the less time we have to shoot! And nobody wants that!
- Clean the ring! I love to shoot a few rings shots while you change outfits! The cleaner the better!
Relax! You don’t have to be a pro at this! I’m going to help you along the way and it’s going to be a blast! Enjoy this time together, and make a date out of it! Plan dinner afterwards and celebrate!!